How emotions affect fertility
Couples – and singles – who are trying to conceive turn increasingly to acupuncture for help. Whether they try it naturally or through assisted fertility. Some research studies show promising results on how acupuncture can help in the following areas:
• Regulating the menstrual cycle
• Reducing stress by decreasing the activity of the sympathetic nervous system. High stress levels are associated with reduced chances of conceiving
• Improving blood circulation to the pelvic organs, including the ovaries and uterus, allowing the reproductive organs to work to their full potential
• Increasing blood circulation to the uterus ensures optimal endometrial thickness
• Helping to trigger ovulation in some women with ovulatory dysfunction
• Helping women with PCOS, endometriosis, dysmenorrhea, pelvic inflammation
• Improving sperm count, motility and structural abnormalities
Trying to conceive, whether naturally or with help from assisted fertility programmes, can be very stressful and this is something that is not often taken into account.
The Bao Mai channel
This is where Chinese medicine comes into its own. In Chinese medicine there is a strong link between the heart and the uterus. This connection is so important that there is a separate channel linking the heart and the uterus, the Bao Mai.
The heart is the seat of emotions. We know this from expressions such as feeling heartbroken or having our heart on our sleeve. In Chinese medicine it is understood that emotions affect the heart directly. When we feel joy, our whole being is lifted and our heart feels open. With sadness or grief we say we feel pain in our heart.
Emotions directly affect our whole body. When we are angry we may feel our shoulders and neck tighten. When we are anxious we may feel like we have butterflies in our stomach and it may affect our digestion.
Emotions in Chinese medicine
In Chinese medicine, strong emotions that we can’t easily digest affect our heart and also our uterus, via the Bao Mai channel. For example worry knots energy and sadness suppresses it. Although the different emotions express themselves differently in our body, they all block the ease of flow of energy. In order to conceive, blood and energy need to flow smoothly. When you feel stressed or anxious about trying to conceive, this also affects your ability to conceive. If your life is stressful or you haven’t dealt with previous miscarriages or abortions, this can all impact the ease of conception.
Fortunately acupuncture helps to alleviate distressing emotions. Acupuncture can help you to regulate emotionally by regulating the sympathetic nervous system. This helps you to relax to give you the best chance to conceive.
At Wellpoint Acupuncture we have a special package for those trying to conceive. You can get 10% off the price of 6 follow up sessions. For one person you pay £135; for couples £240.
For more information on this see our website.